Tuesday 12 April 2011

Sweet Hostage

The last time I saw this film, I was in a Blackpool B&B 25 years ago, while nursing a hangover. For some reason I let this film slip my mind and only came across it by accident recently on youtube. I'd forgotten that I'd said back then I'd need to buy the video as soon as I got home, but never did. I'd also realised how these types of films are my favourite. 

For me nothing stirs the soul better than an illicit love affair. Not the married tryst type stuff (yawn) but the ones where society gasp, frown upon. Teacher-pupil, priest-reprobate, brother-sister, doctor-patient stuff ect, with a story to say 'fuck the boundaries'  life's brought us together, deal with it. Sadly it's how others do deal with it that brings about the demise, but there's usually a cracking fizzle until that cracking gun! There are few with a happy ending. Films and books I've enjoyed are Lolita, The Luzhin Defence, Ae Fond Kiss, Stigmata among others and now this film. 

Sweet Hostage is about a 35 year old escaped mental patient who kidnaps a poorly-educated and parentally-drudged teenager and hide in a mountain shack. Initially, you would assume that she's in for a raping and a clobbering but you find he has respect for her 'womanly functions' and bathing.  He has an obsession with poetry and performance and literates the girl enough for her to write a poem that captures his heart. Despite him having once been married, they are are each others first lover. It is sweet and girly, but your heart does go out to other troubled souls. A very young Martin Sheen and Linda Blair star in this one. Seek it out. I've left the capture clip and if you stop on 2.24 - you get an eery glare from Linda that we've seen somewhere before............

No comments: